Sunday, June 5, 2011

Composer of the Month - Stravinsky

For the month of June I have chosen Igor Stravinsky as our composer. To be honest, I don't know a lot about Stravinsky or his music. I'm looking forward to listening and learning with my kid this month.

Russian born, Stravinsky was naturalized as a French citizen in 1934 and later became a naturalized US citizen in 1945.

June 17, 1882 - April 6, 1971


You can see from the dates that Stravinsky is more contemporary than the previous composers I have featured. You'll definitely hear a difference in his music. This is one of the main things I'm hoping my own daughter's notice. I'm wanting to make a time line this month, so they can visualize the order of our monthly composers. Through listening to examples, hopefully they will also hear the progression of musical development.


Books:
  • Igor Stravinsky (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers) by Mike Venezia

Websites:
Suggested Listening:
  • The Firebird
  • Petrushka
  • The Rite of Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment