Saturday, January 1, 2011

Composer of the Month - Mozart


One thing I am doing with my girls this year is highlighting/studying a different composer each month. Since I am a music teacher and have lots of ideas and resources, I thought it would be fun and hopefully helpful for me to share them here. Please copy me and add your own ideas - it's a fun, easy way to incorporate music into your child's education.


I chose Mozart for a couple reasons - he is probably the most recognized composer so it's a great place to start. Most kids have heard of Mozart. Also, his birthday is January 27.

I won't exactly tell you what to do, but I will include resources and ideas you can use. I might do occasional posts to demonstrate what we did.

Anyway....here are some books and other resources to get you started. Use your library - I get most of our books from our library!

BOOKS:
Play, Mozart, Play by Peter Sis
Mozart Finds a Melody - by Stephen Costanza

CDS:
Mozart's Magic Fantasy - Classical Kids series
Mozart's Magnificent Voyage - Classical Kids series

**there are countless recordings of Mozart's music - get a couple cds and listen to them every day. My favorites are the Mozart violin concertos, Symphony No .38 in D, K 504 and Symphony No. 25 in G minor, K 183.

WEBSITES:

A great place to start with Mozart is to point out that Mozart wrote the tune of Twinkle - all kids know Twinkle (I hope!).

I would love it if you came back here and reported what you tried with your kids! Or if you are an adult, educate yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment