Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Practice Ideas

When I was teaching violin full-time, I had quite a few seasonal games that I would pull out to make lessons and practicing more fun for my students. I made this game more than 10 years ago....I had stickers that you could use to create jack-o-lantern faces. I put them on posterboard, cut them out and wrote song titles on the back.

I pulled these out for my own girls and they were perfect for their current level (playing ability). Each day, the girls would choose two eyes, a nose, a mouth, and two eyebrows. Whatever their pieces said on the back to play is what they had to play.


After just a couple days, I noticed how this really helped shape and focus our daily violin time. It was no longer mommy telling them what to play and them not wanting to do it. I got inspired and dug through my resources to find other practice and lesson games to take us through the upcoming holidays and seasons.

This is a fall practice game. Each girl picks 2 apples, 2 leaves and 2 acorns. The apples are all Twinkles variations (review), the leaves are early Book 1 pieces (Sydney is on these so these are new learning) and the acorns are late book 1 pieces (I play these for them and they listen).


This is our Thanksgiving special...a turkey with feathers. All of these are Twinkles and early book 1 pieces. We need quite a bit of repetition before moving on to new things!



And this is what I've come up with for December...I have one for each girl, but I think we will either spread it out over a couple days or they can take turns filling one tree.

I'm thinking of creating some snowmen and accessories for January. I share this with you because it may inspire you to get creative and make repetitious activities more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment